Get up close and personal with a glacier!
One of the best Alaskan wilderness experiences is nestled just 20 minutes from downtown Juneau. This guided kayak rental package is great if you want the gratification of being “out there” on your own. Participants who are physically fit and are experienced kayakers will enjoy this fully customizable self-guided route.
Your journey begins with a 30-minute scenic van ride to the kayak shop in Auke Bay harbor. After a friendly greeting from your guide, you'll get outfitted with all necessary paddle gear and provided with a safety briefing of the kayak. A short 10-minute drive to the launch site on the west side of Mendenhall Lake yields spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and Tongass National Forest.
Enjoy paddling near icebergs, arctic tern nesting cliffs and giant waterfalls en route to the terminus of the glacier. Marvel at the incredible views of Mendenhall Glacier and be sure to keep an eye out for abundant Alaskan wildlife!
- Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- We suggest that you bring sunglasses, sunscreen, and a camera.
- If you need a specific departure time, please contact ShoreTrips.
- There are limited permits available per day for this route, so it is highly recommended that you book as far in advance as possible!
- These kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 55 inches (140cm). Maximum weight limit is 600 lbs (272kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6'2" (188cm) have a hard time operating the rudder because the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance. However, people as tall as 6'8" have been able to paddle the kayaks.
- This tour operates May-September.
- Please note: Due to the lack of daylight in September, we will NOT be offering afternoon departures after September 8th.
- There is a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 8 for this tour.
- Minimum age to participate is 10 years old. Children must be in good enough physical condition to paddle a tandem kayak with an adult for up to two hours on the lake.
- Clients will be outfitted in double kayaks. Mendenhall Lake is a glaciated lake with very cold water (water temps around 36 degrees F). Occasionally, strong glacial winds hit the lake in the late afternoon, creating large white caps and difficult paddling conditions.
- The paddling distance from our launch site to views of the glacier is approximately 5 miles round trip. Single kayaks are only available for private tours.
- All participants must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Participants under the age of 18 will need a parent/guardian to sign for them. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver are not permitted.
Days offered: 7 days a week