Private Trek & Climb On Mendenhall GlacierExplore > United States > Juneau > Private Trek & Climb On Mendenhall Glacier
This exhilarating tour combines hiking, glacier trekking, and ice climbing all in one!
This unique multi-sport adventure combines hiking, glacier trekking, and ice climbing! You'll see the beauty of the glacier up-close and personal.
If you've got an appetite for adventure, then you definitely don't want to miss this tour!
This excursion will be lead by a private guide who will provide expert instruction and interpretation, while blending safety with fun. Since this is a private tour, we'll cater to your group's pace, ability, and interests.
Upon arrival at the trailhead, you'll be outfitted with a backpack that includes all of the necessary glacier gear. Your journey then begins with a four mile trail hike through the temperate rain forest along Mendenhall Lake. The first mile of the trail is well maintained and relatively flat, with the exception of a short uphill switchback section, while the remaining three miles are on an unmaintained trail. This strenuous trail is uneven and includes areas of mud, slippery bedrock, loose gravel, rock scrambling, and multiple short, steep up-and downhill sections.
Once you reach the glacier, there will be a short safety briefing, and then you'll be outfitted in trekking gear and assisted in locating the safest entrance to the ice. You'll have about an hour (depending on your group's hiking pace) to explore accessible features such as crevasses, ice caves, moulins, melt water streams, pools, and more.
Although you'll have a blast on the ice, don't forget to save some energy for the 4-mile hike back to the trailhead!
- This tour includes the use of mountaineering gear, backpack, rain jacket and pants, as well as a hearty snack and bottled water.
- Please bring/wear: sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle support, hiking pants, warm hat, fleece gloves, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- We do NOT provide you with boots. We do provide you with crampons.
- This tour operates May-September.
- Please note: Due to the lack of daylight in September, we will NOT be offering afternoon departures after September 8th.
- There is a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 12 required for this tour.
- Minimum age to participate is 8 years old. Children need to be in good enough physical condition to hike 8 miles round trip on their own.
- Our private glacier trips cater to all ages and abilities, however, clients must be in good enough shape to hike for up to 6-6.5 hours, covering about 8 miles round trip. The hike to the glacier is challenging, and clients need to be in very good physical condition. All clients will need to hike with a backpack for the entire tour. We provide the backpack and it weighs approximately 10-15 pounds and holds mountaineering gear, snacks/water, and any extra clothing that you bring.
- The first mile of the trail is well maintained and goes through forests with a few switchbacks. The remaining three miles of the trail are very off the beaten path and require hiking on bedrock with rock scrambling on steep sections. It's important to have sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle support while hiking on the rocky terrain. For an average fit group, it takes about two hours to hike to the glacier.
- We cannot guarantee that we will go in to the ice caves because it depends on the safety and stability of the ice. We assess the conditions on a day-to-day basis. The glacier is constantly changing and so are the ice caves.
- Please note that circumstances such as poor weather, inadequate footwear, and a slow pace to the glacier may limit or prevent the opportunity to ice climb.
- Maximum shoe size we can accommodate for the crampons is size 14. Minimum is size 2.
- All participants must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Participants under the age of 18 will need a parent/guardian to sign for them. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver are not permitted.
Days offered: 7 days a week