Athens, Acropolis And Acropolis Museum - Half DayExplore > Greece > Athens > Athens, Acropolis And Acropolis Museum - Half Day
This thorough and concise tour concentrates on the best of Athens.
Enjoy a lovely half-day tour around Athens, including a stop at the Acropolis Museum.
For those visiting Athens for the first time, this is an excellent introduction to one of the great cities of the ancient world.
See the Olympic Stadium where the Olympic Games were revived in 1896 and returned in 2004, and then pass by the Parliament Building, which proudly stands on Constitution Square, with its colorful evzones guarding the Monument to the Unknown Soldier.
Your first stop will be at the Acropolis Museum, which was built to house every artifact found on The Rock. Today, nearly 4,000 objects are exhibited over an area of 14,000 square metres.
After visiting the Museum, enjoy a walk on the pedestrian street for about 200 metres and arrive at the Acropolis, a symbol of the glory of ancient Greece, and climb its smooth marble steps as visitors have for centuries. History opens before you as you reach one of the masterpieces of classical architecture--the Propylaea, which serves as the entrance to the complex. See the Temple of Athena Nike, or Wingless Victory, and the Erechtheum with its classical Porch of Maidens, the Caryatids. Stand in awe of what is considered to be the most perfect example of classical architecture in the world--the Parthenon, designed as a shrine to Athena and at one time housing a massive gold and ivory statue of the warrior goddess. Looking down from the Acropolis, see the two ancient theaters in its shadow--the Greek theater of Dionysus, where the masterpieces of Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, and Aristophanes debuted to delighted audiences; and the grand Roman theater of Herod Atticus, restored and used for concerts and classical plays during the summer Athens Festival.
After an exhilarating day of exploring, you will be returned to your cruise ship pier or hotel.
- This tour includes a private vehicle and driver, and a licensed English-speaking guide, as well as entrance fees to all archaeological sites and museums mentioned in the description.
- Food, beverages, and gratuities are not included in the price of this tour.
- Groups of 2 people will be transported in a pre-booked Mercedes taxi. Please note that while the vehicles are used primarily for private tours and transfer services, it is the law for the meter to be on and for the vehicle to have a taxi sign on top. You will not be expected to pay the meter.
- The Acropolis Museum is closed on Mondays from November 1-March 31. From April 1-October 31, it is open from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- The Acropolis can only be accessed by walking uphill. It is a strenuous walk and you must be in good physical condition. There is a pathway, but there are also steps near the top. Keep in mind that the weather may be very hot during the summer.
- Please note that the Sunday Supplement also applies to the following Public Holidays in 2020: January 1; March 2nd; March 25th, April 17th-19th; May 1st; June 8th; August 15th; October 28th and December 25th and 26th.
- Supplement is per group and not per person.
Days offered: 7 days a week