As they say in the Eternal City, it takes more than a lifetime to see Rome!
Embark on a whirlwind tour with a wonderful driving escort who will take you to all the must-see sites. He showed us things and told us stories that we never heard before and we have made five previous visits to Rome! We were impressed.
Your tour will start from Via Veneto, where some of the city's finest hotels are located. Begin with a drive down the Via Sistina, stopping at the Church of the Trinity (Trinità dei Monti) to view the famous Spanish Steps from above. Then continue onto Villa Borghese, with a stop at the Pincio Terrace to enjoy the beautiful panorama of Rome and the Vatican City, before driving down the hill from the Pincioto to Piazza del Popolo, with its astounding obelisk dating back to Ramses II (13th century B.C.) and Bernini’s Twin Churches. Your route then takes you to the ruins of the Mausoleum of Augustus and Piazza Navona, the third largest square in Rome and the only one decorated with three fountains, all designed by Bernini.
By now you will most likely want to stop for lunch, and your escort will take you to a nice, local restaurant nearby or, if you prefer, to a cafeteria for some pizza or a sandwich. When lunch is over, the afternoon is dedicated almost entirely to Ancient Rome. Visit the Pantheon, the best preserved of the Roman buildings. Originally built by Marco Agrippa in 27 B.C., it was almost fully reconstructed under the emperor Hadrian in 130 A.D., who provided the temple with a dome made of solid concrete. Michelangelo was inspired by the dome of the Pantheon when he designed St. Peter’s Dome.
After the Pantheon you will head to Capitoline Hill (Campidoglio). The square on the hill was designed by Michelangelo, who was able to create an optical illusion by which it appears larger than it really is. From the top of the hill you get an incredible view of the Roman Forum, the political and commercial buildings that were full of activity throughout the entire Roman Age and the square where people gathered to listen to the Emperor speak. Next you will arrive at the Colosseum, certainly one of the most famous spots to visit in Rome. Built nearly 2,000 years ago, it stills stands despite the fact that for hundreds of years the nobles have been taking marble from it to build their churches and palaces.
After a stop in Piazza Venezia to take a picture at the Monument to the first King of Italy and the balcony from which Mussolini used to harangue the crowds, you will finally arrive at the Trevi Fountain. Legend states that by throwing a coin into the fountain you will ensure your return to Rome! (By the way, should you be short of coins, it will be your escort's pleasure to provide them...it's a great investment for him!)
- The price of this tour includes a private vehicle and driver/escort for the day. It does not include any admissions, food, beverages, or gratuities.
- A strict dress code is enforced in many Rome churches, so please do not wear shorts, sleeveless tops, skirts above the knee, revealing clothing, or sandals.
- The per person entrance fee of 14€ for the Colosseum/Palatine Hill is not included in the price of this tour.
- Please note that this tour is for hotel guests staying in the city of Rome only. If you are coming in on a cruise ship, please see our offerings in CIVITAVECCHIA.
- Please note that on the first Sunday of each month many tourist sites in Italy have free admission. This can often result in long lines. If you are staying at a hotel, it may be beneficial to avoid booking a tour involving inside visits to major attractions on these days. If you have questions, contact ShoreTrips.
- Modest dress is required in all Italian churches. If you expect to enter a church during your tour, please do not wear shorts, sleeveless tops, skirts above the knee, or revealing clothing. If preferred, you may wear a shawl to cover your shoulders. This applies to children as well.
- This tour does not include the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters Basilica. The only way we can guarantee entry is if you book ROME WITH PRIVATELY GUIDED VATICAN AND ST. PETER'S BASILICA .
Days offered: 7 days a week