This expertly escorted tour includes all the extras and will keep your group together for the fun.
You'll be met as soon as you disembark your ship and transferred by deluxe coach to Rome. An official guide will meet you in Rome and narrate your ride to the first of the major sites here. You'll be dropped off at Colle Oppio, a hill overlooking the Colosseum and the Roman Forum that is just breathtaking.
Within a short walk, you will be at the Colosseum, still the greatest architectural legacy from ancient Rome. Vespasian ordered the construction of the elliptical bowl, called the Amphitheatrum Flavium, in 72 A.D. It was inaugurated by Titus in 80 A.D. with a bloody combat between gladiators and wild beasts that lasted many weeks.
Continuing from here, you'll approach the Roman Forum--the religious, political, and commercial centre of ancient Rome. Reaching the Titus Arch, you'll enjoy a beautiful view and your guide will point out the place where the senate used to have their historic meetings and where, during the Ides of March in 44 B.C., senators of the highest influence gathered round Julius Caesar. Though many incorrectly say he was assassinated here, it is true that he was cremated here.
You'll then board your coach to be transferred to the centre of Rome, where you'll visit some of the most famous monuments of Rome. Your walking tour includes Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona.
Following these spectacular sights, you'll re-board your coach and travel to the Vatican area. A lovely lunch break will be served in a typical Italian restaurant. The lunch menu includes aperitivo with a glass of sparkling white wine, olives and cheese, lasagne, roast meat with vegetables and potatoes, dessert, wine, water, and coffee.
After lunch, you'll visit St. Peter's Square, coupled with the Basilica, and expand your knowledge as you view works of the Renaissance masters such as Bramante, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Bernini, all of whom worked on the design. Viewing Michelangelo's Pieta is just the perfect end to the tour.
- The price of this tour does not include entrance tickets to the Colosseum or Roman Forum: 14€ per person. Please note: There is not enough time for those who wish to visit inside both the Colosseum and Roman Forum on their own after the guide's commentary.
- PLEASE NOTE: This tour may be operated in reverse order if St. Peter’s Basilica is closed for religious celebrations. St. Peter's Basilica may become crowded in the afternoon, depending on the day and the amount of tourists in Rome during that week. Also, St. Peter’s Basilica may close for security reasons without prior notice. In that case, the guide will provide commentary from outside.
- Lunch will be served in a typical Italian trattoria, usually in the Vatican area or close to it.
- If you want this tour on a holiday, there will be a surcharge.
- Minimum 25 passengers.
- DRESS CODE: Casual and comfortable clothes and shoes. Sun hat and sunscreen suggested during the summer season. St. Peter’s Basilica requires long pants for men; no shorts, miniskirts, sleeveless tops or other revealing clothes for ladies.
- You will be walking on uneven surfaces. This tour is mostly a walking tour.
- This tour does not include the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel. If you know you would like to see St. Peter's Basilica, your must let us know ahead of time. There are days when entrance is blocked and your driver will need that knowledge before receiving you. You are not able to visit the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican Museums without a pre-reserved entrance. Please book THE VATICAN MUSEUMS AND ST. PETER'S BASILICA WITH PRE-RESERVED TOUR for this service.
- Please note that on the first Sunday of each month many tourist sites in Italy have free admission. This can often result in long lines. If you are staying at a hotel, it may be beneficial to avoid booking a tour involving inside visits to major attractions on these days. If you have questions, contact ShoreTrips.
Days offered: 7 days a week