Experience life as it was lived in 79 AD.
From Amalfi it is only a short drive to Pompeii, one of the most visited archaeological sites and attractions in the region.
Your on-site, private, local, licensed Pompeii guide will take you on a fascinating two-hour tour through this amazing place. Once a thriving empire, the city of Pompeii had about 20,000 inhabitants in 79 AD, when it was completely covered in 30 feet of volcanic ash by the deadly eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
The ash that buried the town served as a sort of mummification for the entire city. The eruption captured a moment in time, and, under the ash, everything remained as it was at the time of the eruption. Artwork and buildings were preserved and important clues were left behind that give us a glimpse into the past. These are the silver lining that can be seen when you visit the ruins at Pompeii.
You'll be mesmerized as you listen to your guide talk about the history of the city as you take in the baths, villas, theaters, and wrestling grounds.
A tourist destination for over 250 years, excavations began at this UNESCO World Heritage Site during the 18th century and are still being carried out today as excavators seek to discover the many treasures still buried under the rock.
- You will have a licensed guide for 2 hours while at Pompeii.
- The price of this tour does not include the per person entrance fees of 15€ at Pompeii.
- We suggest that you wear comfortable walking shoes for this tour.
- We have found that there may be a rare occurrence of a port change from Amalfi to Naples or Salerno. Both ports are accessible to the same sightseeing as Amalfi, but it is a slightly longer ride. This port requires an increase in cost as the distance from these highlights is further. Your driver will be waiting for you as you disembark. You may have an adjustment to your tour itinerary depending on your exit time, but be assured that your knowledgeable driver will direct you to a satisfying day. This change is an exception to our policy that ship changes will result in a refund. We feel this is in the best interest of the traveler due to the disappointment we have received when the tour is cancelled instead. There will be an additional charge of $100 for the extra mileage. We apologize for your difficult day, but promise that the sun will shine as soon as you meet your driver.
- Please note that on the first Sunday of each month all tourist sites in Italy have free admission. This can often result in long lines. If you are staying at a hotel, it may be beneficial to avoid booking a tour involving inside visits to major attractions on these days. If you have questions, contact ShoreTrips.
- Pompeii is closed on January 1, May 1 and December 25.
Days offered: 7 days a week