Sleeping Giant Mountain Hiking Trip
We rate this a moderately strenuous hike--and extremely spellbinding.
Of all the Hawaiian Islands, none offers more trails or better hiking than Kaua'i. You could spend an entire month on this island hiking everyday and still not tred on all of the trails--and we speak only of the officially maintained trails!
Our hiking guide actually did just that in the mid-'80s. He estimates he covered at least 111 miles during that time and has since developed expert-led day hikes into spectacular canyons and long coastlines with unique geological and natural environments.
You can't help but enjoy this experience as his personality is captivating as well.
There are actually three different trails on Nounou Mountain. Of the three, the one you'll traverse is the prettiest, the longest at 2.25 miles each way, and the least steep.
You'll find yourself trekking through dense forests of native and exotic plants to a grassy picnic site near the 1,250-foot summit. Here, the panoramic views of the entire eastern half of the island can be seen.
Your guide will focus on Mt. Waialeale, one of the rainiest places on the planet. As you hike, you'll learn how Kauai's geologic history controls its climate and its unique ecosystems.
You'll spend a portion of your time at a lovely location in the Wailua River region, once the home of Kauai's ruling chiefs. The archaeological remains include shrines and ceremonial sites, making it an interesting place to rest.
You'll have earned a delicious lunch and it's included in your tour.
- Cruise ship passengers and guests staying at hotels on the southeast to south and west parts of the island, (between Lihue and Poipu), will be picked up by their tour operator. Guests staying in Princeville and Hanalei resorts on the north side of the island will need to provide their own transportation to the meeting location in Poipu. Specific instructions will appear on your voucher.
- Please wear comfortable clothes, tennis shoes or hiking boots, a hat for protection, and sunscreen.
- Your guide will provide day packs, snacks, and lunch.
- This trip requires a minimum of 4 guests to operate.
- This tour can accommodate up to 10 guests.
- This is a moderately strenuous hike. Participants should be in good physical shape and capable of hiking over uneven surfaces with slight elevation changes. Climatic conditions may vary.
Days offered: 7 days a week