Hike And Float Combo In Scenic SkagwayExplore > United States > Skagway > Hike And Float Combo In Scenic Skagway
This wonderful option for families allows you to feel, as well as see, the terrain.
Often our meetings take place around mealtime, and eating is something that we try not to miss. So our guide picked the place and we dined early at a spot only residents would know. It was empty when we arrived, but packed by the time we left.
We left full of both food and information. We felt great, as we had another wonderful, responsive guide under our belts (which were a notch bigger than when we arrived!).
This tour adds one more dimension to the float trip. You begin with a scenic coastal drive to Dyea, the famous Gold Rush town. You'll have the chance to enjoy a search for bald eagles, as well as seals playing in the water, as your driver/guide initiates you in the lore of this area.
Before your float trip, you'll retrace the footsteps of the Gold Rush stampeders with a 2-mile, 1.5 hour hike on the lushly forested Chilkoot Trail. As no group is larger than 11 people, you'll enjoy individual attention from a guide who truly knows the area. This moderately-strenuous hike goes uphill and downhill, and over uneven terrain for about one mile. The last half of the hike is on mostly level ground. We'll take time to rest, talk, and take photos along the way.
After the one-way hike, you'll don a life jacket and rubber boots (and rain gear, if necessary) and board your raft for the float trip portion of this excursion, which requires absolutely no skill. Your relaxing 30-45-minute river float will be the perfect icing on a beautiful experience. Don't forget to have the guide take your picture with your camera! There will be light snacks as well as water/juice provided during the tour.
- We recommend that you wear sturdy walking shoes and dress in layers.
- This tour operates in rainy weather. Please bring appropriate rain gear for the hiking portion.
- Please consider bringing your own reusable water bottle to reduce use of single use plastic water bottles.
- In 2020, this tour operates from May 1 - September 23rd. This tour is not available on May 23; June 6, 7, 14, 20, & 28; July 4th, 25th, & 26th; August 1, 2, 8, 16, & 30.
- The minimum age for this tour is 5 years old. Parent(s) must sign acknowledgment of risks form for minors at departure time. Parent(s) must accompany children under age 16.
- There is a maximum of 11 people per trip.
- Please note that the hike portion of this trip is moderate to strenuous. Please be in good physical condition. Those with back, knee, hip, or balance issues should consider their participation in this activity. Due to safety reasons and keeping our tour schedule, our guides will strongly advise against participation in the hike if they feel it to be too strenuous for your ability level. If you cannot participate in the hike, an alternate arrangement will be made.
- Pregnant women up to 20 weeks should check with their doctor prior to booking this excursion. Pregnant women 20 weeks or more should not participate in this excursion.
Days offered: 7 days a week