Eagle, Bear And Wildlife Expedition With Lunch
The fast ferry will take you directly into the arms of award winning naturalist guides.
Haines is a community just 15 miles south of Skagway. Within arm's reach is a coastal rainforest, glacial carved peaks, and a pristine marine environment. This is one of several companies that we found personable, knowledgeable, and anxious to introduce you to the assets of this area. We actually looked at last year's logs of wildlife sightings. The results, based on all summer: 45% sea lions, 75% mountain goats, 50% bears, and 100% sightings of eagles and nests.
This tour includes:
• Round trip Fast Ferry ride from Skagway to Haines
• Ride along the coastline
• Nature walk
• Lots of amazing wildlife viewing and photo opportunities!
While you cross the fjord from Skagway to Haines, prepare yourself for the exploration of 6 incredible wildlife habitats; ocean, estuary, river, lake, muskeg, and rain forest. Rarely do these communities come together in the same area and there isn't a better place to explore them than off the famouse Alaskan coastline. Once off the Fast Ferry, you'll board a comfortable bus and begin your journey into the heart of unspoiled Alaska.
Your journey will take you through prime bear habitat along the glacial river which, in spring, is lined with wildflowers and berries. In the summer, there's a great chance to watch Alaskan brown bears catching lunch in the stream as the salmon run. You'll be passing by the home of whales, seals, porpoises, eagles, and a menagerie of shore birds.
At the location where the freshwater lake meets the salty ocean, you'll disembark the coach and venture on a refreshing walk through an old growth forest. This relaxing hike is guided by naturalists who will share their stories of the relationship between the plants and animals.
We'll take a break to enjoy a delicious lunch that includes a chicken Caesar wrap, whole grain chips, fresh fruit, a cookie, and bottled water or juice pack. There is a vegetarian option available upon request at booking. The amount of time for lunch is determined by the wildlife sightings, which are highlights of the day.
• Wear comfortable, sturdy walking shoes/boots and dress in layers, including a waterproof outer layer with a hood/hat.
• The price of the tour includes round trip transfer by catamaran, lunch (chicken Caesar wrap, whole grain chips, fresh fruit, a cookie, and bottled water or juice pack), and use of a belt pack, walking stick, and/or raincoat, if needed.
• There will be spotting scopes available for you to use.
• Bear sightings can't always be guaranteed, but these guides know where the bears hide.
• This tour requires a minimum of 2 passengers.
Days offered: 7 days a week