Yukon Rail, Bus And DogsledExplore > United States > Skagway > Yukon Rail, Bus And Dogsled
Enjoy Skagway's most scenic Alaskan experience, plus visit an authentic dogsled camp!
Built in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush, the Scenic Railway of the World was designated as an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (along with the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty). The 3-foot wide Narrow Gauge Railroad climbs almost 3,000 feet in the first 20 miles with an average grade of 2.6%, and up to 3.9% in some locations. It also passes through two tunnels and travels over sky high trestles and bridges.
This tour operates from May 2 - September 26.
ALL ABOARD! Skagway’s most scenic ALASKAN experience begins with a 28-mile journey between Skagway, Alaska, and Fraser, British Columbia, aboard the Scenic Railway of the World. The White Pass Railway, which was completed in 1900, has a narrow gauge track that takes visitors into the White Pass. Experience the breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, and trestles while listening to historic narration from the comfort of vintage passenger coaches. Climbing up the mountainside, you'll see the extreme changes in vegetation as you pass through several temperate zones before reaching Fraser.
Once a water-stop for the thirsty steam engines and rotary snowplows, Fraser, BC, is now the site of Canadian Customs and Immigration. Upon arrival at the train depot in Fraser, you'll be transferred to a comfortable tour vehicle as you continue your journey into the unparalleled beauty of the Yukon Territory.
Travel to Emerald Lake, Caribou Crossing, Carcross, and Lake Bennett. A piping hot BBQ lunch is included, as well as free admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum. While at Caribou Crossing Trading Post, enjoy a visit to an authentic dogsled camp and pet the husky puppies!
This package also includes a 15-minute dogsled ride! These dogs are the real thing. Rested from the long frozen trails of winter, these veterans of the Yukon Quest are eager to show you the strength and stamina it takes to cover up to 150 miles of wilderness in one day. Competent and experienced mushers guide the teams and are available to explain dog team travel and history.
During your return trip to Skagway, you'll be entertained by professional guides with their amusing stories of local lore and captivating tales of the Gold Rush Era. As you drive down the mountainside, you'll have ample opportunities to take fabulous photos at scenic vistas such as Skagway Scenic Overlook, Pitchfork Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and more.
Since this excursion enters Canada, all passengers must bring their passport or passport card.
- At the time of making your booking request, you can book the 7:30am departure if your ship arrives at 7am or earlier.
- We recommend dressing in layers.
- Please note: This is a dogsled with wheels, instead of runners, and takes place on ground, instead of snow.
- Since this excursion enters Canada, all citizens MUST carry a valid passport. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate.
- If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody or one parent is not present, you will be required to present a letter of consent from the minor’s parents including a signature. It should include dates of travel, parents’ names, and photocopies of their state-issued IDs.
- This tour is NOT wheelchair accessible and we are not able to accommodate motorized or electric scooters of ANY kind. However, for passengers who have small, collapsible walkers we are happy to assist in boarding and storing them on our bus IF we have room and they do not exceed these measurements: 30"L x 10"W x 30"H (including wheels). We can only accept "umbrella" style child strollers that do not exceed these measurements when folded up: 45"L x 10"W x 10"H (including wheels). If we do not have room on the bus these items will have to be left behind with a company representative and delivered to the guest at the conclusion of the tour.
- Please note that the Dog cart ride may be cancelled due to extreme weather conditions, including hot weather as the heat is dangerous for the dogs with overheating. If this Dog cart ride is cancelled, you will not receive a refund, but rather this will be replaced with a comparable experience with a dog camp tour with campfire and s'mores. You will receive a keepsake photograph with the dogs.
- Please note that due to the length of this tour, you should not book this if your cruise ship departs Skagway earlier than 5 p.m. If your cruise ship departs Skagway at 5 p.m., you may only book the 7:30 a.m. tour time. If you book the 9:15 a.m. tour, your ship must be in port until 7:00 p.m. or later.
- In 2019, this tour operates from May 2 - September 26.
Days offered: 7 days a week