This is one of our favorite tours. Go behind the scenes at a local salmon hatchery!
August and September are exceptionally busy months and full of activity. Although you may think that this excursion is of "special interest," most visitors leave rather astounded at what they've just seen!
This tour includes:
- Scenic boat ride
- Visit to Medvejie Hatchery
- Cruise to Silver Bay
We'll leave downtown Sitka by boat and spend approximately 30 minutes on our way to the Medvejie Hatchery. Along the way, it's quite likely that we'll get a glimpse of various wildlife (eagles, sea lions, sea otters...just to name a few) and we'll make sure to stop for anything of interest! Near town, your guide will also share some past and present information about Sitka.
At the hatchery site, we'll disembark and spend approximately one hour touring the facility. We'll go behind-the-scenes and you'll have access to many areas that other visitors do not!
Hatchery operations are seasonal and revolve around the life cycle of salmon. In May and June, you will see mostly juvenile salmon with some adult salmon beginning to show up at the facility. As the summer progresses, more and more of the "show" will be experiencing the throng of returning adult salmon. After spending three years in the North Pacific, these fish are heading home to spawn.
After leaving the hatchery, we'll cruise down to Silver Bay. The bay was alive with mining activity 100 years ago. Some remnants of that day still remain. In the summer months, Salmon Lake Creek at the head of Silver Bay will be full of returning salmon.
- If you have a group of 6, you'll get the boat all to yourselves!
- Tour includes bottled water, granola bars, and/or other simple snacks.
- Children 2 and under are free.
- Please note: If you require a tour start time other than those listed, please contact ShoreTrips. We are flexible with the start times.
- There is a 2 person minimum and a 6 person maximum for this tour.
- The tour operator is able to store a collapsible wheelchair if guests are able to take a few steps with assistance. This tour is not recommended for power wheelchairs as there is no additional storage/ramps.
Days offered: 7 days a week