Here's your chance to see Ketchikan with someone who really loves it here.
I don't know why your guide, Lois, drives around in a 1955 Chevy and listens to '50s music. I guess she just likes the car and the music. You'll like her because of her warmth, sincerity, and knowledge of the local culture.
This tour includes:
• Round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier in a '55 Chevy
• Exploration of Saxman Totem Village
• Drive through Ketchikan
On this fascinating tour, we'll visit Saxman Totem Village, the only totem park in Alaska that has 29 authentic totems carved by Tlingit and Haida natives. The poles were moved here from the original sites in the 1930s and have been restored by native carvers. As you stroll through the park, your guide will explain the thriving native culture and how the people lived in this awesome land long before the United States purchased Alaska.
As with all cultures, their way of life was dictated by food sources. With an abundance of food from the rain forest and the sea, early settlers in Southeast Alaska developed complex and high art forms. We'll see and discuss the artistic components and gain an understanding of this remarkable art.
With the totems as your guide, you'll learn how to identify an eagle, raven, bear, frog, and beaver. Your guide will share with you, in pictures, the carving and steaming of a cedar canoe and the raising of a totem pole. And, as a special treat, she'll introduce you to her favorite Native Alaskan totem pole carver!
This tour also includes an overview of Ketchikan's historic past. As we drive by Creek Street, known as far south as San Francisco for its bawdy atmosphere, we'll talk about its colorful side, and we'll also discuss the Ketchikan of today.
• Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated. Please contact ShoreTrips in advance if you will be traveling with a collapsible wheelchair.
• This tour needs a minimum of 4 people to operate. The 3-hour Totems and Eagles tour is more popular and requires a lower minimum. If you have less than 4 people in your party, we suggest booking that tour.
• This tour is most enjoyed by those over 10 years of age.
• Maximum number per time slot is 5 people.
Days offered: 7 days a week