Whale ExpeditionExplore > United States > Icy Strait/Hoonah > Whale Expedition
Whales! Whales Whales!
Every summer, in the nutrient-rich waters of Glacier Bay and Icy Strait, hundreds of humpback whales come to feed before migrating south for the winter. Residing in the area from May through September, these whales can reach 50 feet in length and weigh as much as 30-50 tons.
During this thrilling excursion, you'll be able to observe whales from the deck of this spacious boat. Typical whale sightings include diving, blows, and flukes (tails). If you're especially lucky, you'll be able to see bubble-net feeding, which is a cooperative method where a pod forms a circle and then dives under water. Once submerged, they blow air to create a wall of bubbles that forces krill and plankton to the surface, creating a prime condition for feasting!
This boat is built for speed and comfort with the perfect modifications for travel along Alaska’s waterways.
- If your ship arrives at the Adventure Dock, it is about a 5-10-minute walk to the meeting location.
- If your ship arrives at the Wilderness Dock, it is either a 15-20-minute walk or a 3-minute gondola ride (possible additional cost), plus a 5-minute walk to the meeting location.
- Hotel or Airbnb guests will need to find their own way to the meeting location. Specific instructions will appear on your voucher.
- Snacks and beverages are included in the price of this tour.
- Please dress in layers to be prepared for any weather conditions.
- Due to boat regulations, everyone traveling on this boat must purchase a seat, even infants. Every person on board pays the same rate.
- The boat is not wheelchair accessible.
- Depending on the number of ships in port you will be on either an 18 passenger or 30 passenger whale watching tour. If you have questions or concerns, contact ShoreTrips.
- There is a restroom on board both boats.
- This trip requires a minimum of 8 people to sign up before it can be confirmed. Minimums are met on almost every day a cruise ship is in port. However, if you book very far in advance (and/or on a slow day for ships in port), your booking may be placed on a temporary hold before it is confirmed. We will notify you if the minimum is not met.
Days offered: 7 days a week