Alpine Hike On The Alyeska GlacierExplore > United States > Anchorage > Alpine Hike On The Alyeska Glacier
Learn about climate change while atop some of Alaska's most magnificent glaciers.
Many features have been written about this hike and you'll really feel what Alaska is all about while you're here.
Nestled in the Glacier Bowl of the majestic Chugach Mountains, the Alyeska Glacier provides hikers with countless breathtaking views--and unparalleled photo opportunities.
Your exhilirating adventure begins on the scenic Alyeska Tram, which will take you 2,300 feet above sea level. From the upper mountain tram, you'll embark on an exciting hike along the ridgeline, where you'll see seven amazing glaciers in the Girdwood Valley. You'll make several photo stops and your guide will discuss points of interest, educating you on the local wildlife and history of the area.
In total, you'll hike for 2 hours over a distance of one mile round trip, with an 800 foot elevation gain. At the glacier's edge, you'll be provided with gear, including climbing harnesses, ropes, NEOS over-boots, and/or crampons, as well as full instruction with regards to travel and safety while on the glacier.
Following your memorable hike, you'll ride the tram back down to sea level.
- Guests should check in 15 minutes prior to the tour's departure time. Total length of tour does not include transfer time to and from Girdwood (1-1.5 hours each way). We suggest that you rent a car. The drive is easy and the scenery is beautiful.
- The tour includes all equipment, naturalist glacier guides, and tram ticket.
- A granole bar snack and water are provided.
- Wear comfortable, warm clothes and dress in layers (fleece jacket, rain jacket/pants, gloves, wool/fleece/baseball hat, sunglasses).
- We suggest that you bring hiking boots or running shoes, a day pack, and a camera.
- Please note that this tour operates in all weather conditions.
- This is a moderate to strenuous activity, however, no experience is necessary.
- There is a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 30 for this tour.
- Minimum age is 10 and maximim age is 70.
- This excursion is available from June 13-September 15.
Days offered: 7 days a week