Island Adventure: East End And MangrovesExplore > Honduras > Island Adventure: East End And Mangroves
This tour has it all--an iguana farm, a native village, and a ride through a mangrove tunnel.
Leave it all behind and embark on this off-the-beaten-path excursion with guides who are eager to share the "real Roatan" with you.
Board your private vehicle and our 5-hour tour will begin by heading to the unspoiled east end of Roatan, where we'll find authentic Garifuna villages, fishing towns on stilts, and breathtaking hilltop views of distant islands.
As we drive through French Harbour, look for shrimping trawlers unloading their day's catch (and maybe even your lunch!). This is a true taste of an un-commercialized Caribbean village! From here, we'll continue on to French Cay and one of the little known treasures on Roatan, Sherman Arch's Iguana Farm, where more than 2,700 iguanas wander freely about the property.
Now it's on to "The View," where we'll stop to take pictures of the most spectacular scenery (including both sides of the island!) and search for the best deals on souvenirs.
Next, we'll travel to Punta Gorda with a stop at a traditional Garifuna village, where you can truly experience what Roatan is all about. More than 200 years after first arriving in Honduras, Garifunas continue to embrace their native language, religious practices, ancestral food, and punta music and dance.
Finally, we'll arrive in Jonesville, an old Caribbean fishing village constructed on stilts over the water. To this day, it is almost completely populated by islanders and its only concession to tourism is one gift shop. Here, you'll board a motorboat and your guide will navigate shaded, deep mangrove tunnels barely wide enough for the vessel. Keep your camera ready to catch some of the wildlife that is abundant in this area! If you wish, you can even snorkel and see what lurks below the water!
During the tour, we'll take a little time to enjoy some local cuisine at a restaurant where you can observe alligators, monkeys, and birds. (The cost of lunch is not included in the tour price.)
At the end of your day of discovery on the island's east end, you'll be returned to the cruise ship terminal.
- Entrance fees and snorkel gear are included in the price of this tour.
- Lunch is not included in the price.
- Please wear a hat, sunglasses, and reef-safe sunblock.
- The boat is a wooden canoe with a small motor attached to it. There are wooden benches inside the boat that vary in size (4-5 ft. long). Some boats have a little wooden shade and others are completely open. They are "islandy" boats, but safe.
- Please note: each boat holds 8-10 people. If you have a group larger than this, you'll be split up into different boats.
- There is a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 15 for this tour.
- This is not a private tour.
Days offered: 7 days a week