Experience historic Mexico! Visit an authentic hacienda - a landed estate - in a mountain setting
Spend a magical day at an authentic hacienda near Puerto Vallarta, including visits to several local attractions and a sumptuous Mexican lunch.
Your magical day includes:
- Round-trip air-conditioned van transportation with English-speaking guide
- Distillery and agave plantation tour
- Guided tour of the main square of the town of El Tuito
- Visit to Hacienda El Divisadero with welcome snack & beverage and Mexican lunch
- Cheese-making demonstration at the Hacienda
- Visit to petroglyphs and Tuito River, via your choice of horseback or van
The beautiful ride through the countryside will set the stage for the day. The total drive time one way is slightly over an hour but your first stop will be a raicilla distillery. Raicilla has been the traditional drink of Puerto Vallarta, El Tuito and the entire region. You will have a guided tour through the agave plantation and the raicilla taberna where the processing takes place. Who knew there were so many agaves: amarillo”, “cenizo”, “chino”, “verde”, “del padre”! Of course you will taste this liquid mescal which is so important to tradition.
You will continue up into the mountains above Puerto Vallarta where you will visit the charming, timeless town of El Tuito, a true colonial town where you will walk around the main square with your tour guide. From there, you will go to the beautiful, historic Hacienda El Divisadero, where you will be welcomed with refreshments and the chance to make your own tortilla.
Following a cheese-making demonstration and tasting, you will have a delicious traditional lunch. Even dietary restrictions are met at the last minute - no worries!
Next, take a tour (on horseback or in a van -- it's your choice!) of an ancient site containing pre-Hispanic rocks bearing intriguing petro glyphs, stone carvings thought to be prayers to indigenous Gods, and a stop at the Tuito River. Finally, you will feast on a delicious Mexican lunch at the hacienda's renowned country restaurant.
- After being picked up at the pier, you will be driven for a little more than an hour up into the mountains above the city.
- Bring insect repellent, a camera, and a bathing suit and dry clothes, in case you want to swim in the river.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- The lunch includes typical Mexican dishes. Vegetarian options can be prepared with advance notice.
- Cruise Ship passengers will be met at the cruise pier. Hotel guests will have to take a taxi to the cruise pier. Please consult with your hotel for approximate taxi costs and distance. Full instructions will appear on your voucher.
- Minimum of 2 adults.
- Tour is not available on Mondays.
- Please note that in Puerto Vallarta there is some confusion about ship time vs local time. Please see your purser on your ship to clarify whether your ship changes its time to local time so you do not miss your excursion. As each ship is ruled by its captain, it is your responsibility to confirm this while while you are sailing.
Days offered: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday