45 million years old, the Río Camuy Cave Park is an impressive subterranean river network.
Our contact in San Juan seemed too good to be true. She had already developed a handful of tours that we were looking for and she was willing and able to work on whatever we requested. She lived up to all of our expectations. She was so full of energy that the noon heat hardly had an affect on her. I, on the other hand, felt like all my clothes were stuck to me!
This tour includes:
• Private round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier or your hotel
• Services of an experienced guide
• Scenic drive
• Trolley ride and escorted tour through cave system
• Amazing views!
The extensive subterranean cave systems of Rio Camuy Cave Park is reported to be the largest in the western hemisphere. Until the recent completion of the expanded highway leading west to Camuy, the driving distance discouraged many from seeing this remarkable cave system.
Today, a drive of approximately one hour and 45 minutes from San Juan takes you past lush landscapes, pineapple farms, and jagged, eroded limestone cliffs as you near this massive subterranean wonderland.
Your visit to the park begins with a short video as you wait to board the open air trolleys, which twist and turn their way through the road carved out of verdant foliage before reaching the moss- lined entrance to the cave. After the 10-minute trolley ride, multilingual guides will escort you on foot through the enormous cave, which is 200 feet high and a half mile long. A large opening at one end of the cave allows light to filter through, creating beautiful photo opportunities. From this opening, you'll see one of the many sink holes carved out by the Camuy River, the world's third largest underground river. As you walk through the interior of the cave, passing stalagmites and stalactites, you'll experience the eerie illusion of timeless steps in the earth's creation. You'll explore the caves for one hour.
• We suggest that you wear sturdy walking shoes.
• Please note: We will make a lunch stop, but it will be at your own expense.
• If you're staying at a hotel or if your ship arrives at the old pier, you'll be picked up there. If your ship docks at the new piers, it's a short walk to the meeting location. Your voucher will have specific instructions.
• The entrance fee to the caves is not included in the price of this tour. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for children ages 4-12. Children under 4 are free.
• This tour is based on 7 hours of touring with a private guide and a vehicle that holds 4 passengers. If your group is larger than 4, please contact ShoreTrips.
Days offered: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday