Most of the area of BasseTerre is covered with rainforest, with waterfalls in the midst.
Visit Basseterre, the half of Guadeloupe that offers the physical beauty on this island. It is unfortunate that the island is based on the euro which makes it too costly for us to offer anything but shared tours. Put a group together and you will have the best time here!
Leaving Pointe a Pitre with your driver, you will enjoy a 30 to 40 minute ride through the lush countryside. You will be crossing La Riviere Salee, the Salt River, which separates BasseTerre from GrandTerre. Your driver will not be a guide and will not be narrating but you hardly need that as the scenery says it all.
As you enter the dense rainforest, you can anticipate your hiking experience. Surrounded by a rich and varied vegetation with 300 different species of trees and shrubs, 250 specieis of ferns and 100 types of orchids. Your hike will be very moderate and your destination is about 30 minutes away.
As you trek, many of the trees tower over you as they can grow 30 to 40 feet high with trunks as large as one meter in diameter. You might see a pineapple flower snaking through the trees to reach the sunlight.
Upon your approach the waterfalls, Saut des Trois Cornes, named just because the water falls and forms three small babbling brooks, you will have a chance to relax. Your walk in Sofaïa invites you to refresh at the waterfalls. Take your time. You will have about an hour or so to swim and enjoy the beauty around you before you retrace your steps back to the pier.
As you pass through the lush rainforest in the National Park, you will see part of the attraction to this area by nature lovers from all over.
- Please wear comfortable hiking or walking shoes.
- Dress in layers as the rainforest can be damp and cool. A raincoat or poncho is suggested.
- Please wear your swimsuit under your clothes and bring a towel and bag or backpack to carry them back.
- It is suggested you bring mosquito repellent.
- This is a moderate 30 minute hike each way.
- This trip is only for groups of at least 15 people. We do not combine people for this trip. Therefore, your group must have at least 15 people traveling together.
- This is an easy hike but it is not a nature walk. You must be in a condition to appreciate the activity. You must determine your physical state before participating in this tour.
- Children must be 10 years old to participate.
Days offered: 7 days a week