Cairo Overnight Interlude - Alexandria To Port SaidExplore > Egypt > Alexandria > Cairo Overnight Interlude - Alexandria To Port Said
Pick up is in Alexandria on Day 1. Drop off is in Port Said on Day 2.
This is the best all-encompassing tour of Cairo. See the pyramids, Citadel, Mosque of Mohamed Ali and Khan El-Khalili Bazaar. You will also be able to sample local cuisine and have some time for shopping. Stay overnight in a lovely hotel. We have included your room priced for double occupancy, all transfers, guide services and meals (breakfast on day 2 and lunch on both days. Dinner not included). Drinks during meals are not included. Entrance fees are not included.
7:00 AM Meet your tour representative at the Alexandria port. We will escort you to meet the Egyptology guide in your private transportation.
During your trip from Alexandria into Cairo, you will hear a brief history of Egypt. Also enjoy a biscuit, mineral water, and soft drinks.
At about 10am, you will arrive in Cairo. Your tour begins with a visit to Old Cairo, including the Ben Ezra Synagogue, which is said to have been built on the site where the baby Moses was found and the Hanging Church, a Coptic Christian church with a wooden roof in the shape of Noah's ark.
Get to know Islamic Cairo, including the beautiful and graceful Mohamed Ali Mosque and the ancient Citadel, a spectacular medieval fortress perched on a hill above the city. Originally built by Salah El-Din in 1176 to fortify the city against the Crusaders, the Citadel was modified and enlarged over the centuries by subsequent rulers and today is a complex of three mosques and four museums.
The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities houses the world’s greatest collection of Ancient Egyptian artifacts, including 12 rooms filled with golden treasures from the world-famous tomb of the boy king Tutankhamen.
Next, we will enjoy a set-menu lunch at Naguib Mahfouz restaurant, a lovely place with traditional decor and authentic Egyptian cuisine.
Proceed to take a brief tour of the fascinating Khan El-Khalili Bazaar – the largest bazaar in the Middle East. Originally founded as a watering stop for caravanserai in the 14th century, the bazaar has now grown to vast proportions. Through the narrow streets, you will find workshops and stalls selling all manner of items, from woodwork, glassware and leather goods to perfumes, fabrics and Pharaonic curiosities.
From here, you will be transferred to your hotel to spend the night at the Cairo Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel or Semiramis Intercontinental Heart of Town Hotel. You will select your standard hotel choice during the checkout process. Upgrades must be purchased separately.
Buffet breakfast at your hotel and check out.
Meet your Egyptologist guide in the hotel lobby and start your guided tour to visit the Pyramids, Memphis, and Sakkara.
Today you will take an unforgettable tour of the Great Pyramids of Giza. The only present-day survivors of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, they are among the world’s greatest tourist attractions and never lose their ability to inspire and overwhelm visitors.
Memphis is the oldest capital of Egypt, and was built by King Menes, and lays 15 miles southwest of Cairo. The colossal statue of Ramses II is exhibited in the museum. This is the most beautiful representation of Ramses II.
Sakkara is the oldest Ancient Egyptian cemetery. It lies on a desert plateau, southwest of Cairo. Above rises the Step-Pyramid and mortuary compound, built by the engineer Imhotep for King Zoser.
There will be a stop for set-menu lunch at a local restaurant for a chance to rest and refresh.
Later in the day, you'll enter the temple of the mysterious Sphinx, an ancient figure shrouded in legend and mystery. Your Egyptologist will enthrall you with tales of this fascinating figure. A visit to the Solar Boat Museum will inform you about the Ancient Egyptian practice of burying a "solar barge" near the tomb of the pharaoh to provide transportation in the afterlife.
At the end of these two fascinating, educational, and captivating days of touring, your driver will return you to Port Said.
- We have included your room priced for double occupancy, all transfers, guide services, and lunch on both days, breakfast on day 2. Dinner is not included.
- You will choose your standard hotel room during the check-out process. Upgrades must be purchased separately.
- If you have an odd number of people in your group, you must purchase the single supplement as well since the rooms are based on double occupancy.
- Not included in the price: drinks during the meals, entrance fees (Mummy Room ($14.00), entrance into Inside Pyramids ($26.50) and Egyptian Museum (approx. $11)).
- Gratuity not included.
- There may be extra optional charges to enter certain portions of museums and also to use cameras and video cameras and those will be paid upon arrival.
- Shoulders and knees must be covered while visiting the mosques. You will also be asked to remove your shoes; we suggest you wear socks or bring a foot cover during this time.
- Please note: It is possible that the order in which you see the sites listed in the trip description will change. You will see everything mentioned, but possibly in a different order.
- You must be able to walk 3 miles on flat yet uneven terrain. The order of the tour may change but all the described stops will be included.
- Please contact ShoreTrips if you are booking between the dates of December 20-January 5. An extra charge is involved.
Days offered: 7 days a week