Jewish Heritage Walking Tour Of Amsterdam - Half DayExplore > Netherlands > Amsterdam > Jewish Heritage Walking Tour Of Amsterdam - Half Day
Amsterdam is also known by the Jewish name "Mokum", the Yiddish word for "town".
Although this is just a half day tour, you can leave it to your expert guide to help you understand the role of the Jewish community in Amsterdam's past and present.
Amsterdam combines Old World atmosphere with the vibe of a modern metropolis. Famous for its museums, liberal culture and relaxed way of life, the small scale of the buildings and the intimacy of the streets makes it the perfect location for a walking tour.
Our tour begins in the former Jewish Quarter where you will uncover developments within the Jewish community in Amsterdam throughout the centuries. Although much has been replaced with modern architecture, the area still reveals insight into pre-war Jewish life. You will explore the monuments commemorating the persecution during World War II.
We continue on to the majestic Portuguese Synagogue which was built in 1675. The building is still used for religious services, but it is also open to the public. The world’s oldest functioning Jewish library (1614) is also here: Ets Haim Livraria Montezinos, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Across from the Synagogue you'll find the Jewish Historical Museum, a beautiful, high-profile museum which is located in four Ashkenazi synagogue buildings built between 1671 and 1752. It provides a unique picture of past and present Dutch Jewish life in all its facets as well as an extensive collection of paintings, films, and 3D presentations. Any children in your group will enjoy the JHM Children's Museum, housed inside of the Jewish Historical Museum.
Interspersed among the Jewish sites, you will pass some of Amsterdam's main sites along the way.
If you would like to end the tour at one of Amsterdam's world class cultural sites such as the Rijksmuseum or Van Gogh Museum, you will make your own way back to the cruise pier or your hotel. If you are ready to head back, your guide will drive you there.
- This is a walking tour, please wear comfortable footwear and dress for the weather. The tour will cover approximately 2 miles, some of it over cobblestone streets. There are also times when you will be standing.
- Admissions, food, and beverages are not included in the price of this tour.
- Entrance fees to museums and synagogue tours must be paid in local currency in cash at the time of the visit.
- Combined ticket to JHM Children’s Museum, Portuguese Synagogue, Jewish Historical Museum – 17 EUR
- This tour can accommodate a maximum of 8 guests.
- YOU MUST BRING YOUR PASSPORT IN ORDER TO VISIT THE SYNAGOGUE.
- You may not have time to see everything mentioned in the tour description. As this is a private tour, it is entirely customizable. Contact ShoreTrips for more information.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday