The Best Of Berlin With Visit To Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp...A Shoretrips Value Shared TourExplore > Germany > Berlin > The Best Of Berlin With Visit To Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp...A Shoretrips Value Shared Tour
See Berlin, its failures and its triumphs.
You'll spend 5-6 hours touring this city that is steeped in history, wonderful architecture and unexpected beauty.
Our tour begins with a 3 hour drive from the cruise ship pier to Berlin. Once in Berlin, our first stop will be at the German Parliament (the Reichstag) and the Brandenburg Gate, one of Berlin's most important monuments. Once a symbol of division, it is now a national symbol of peace and unity. We'll see the large urban park, Tiegarten, a green respite in the middle of the city.
Moving on to Potsdamer Platz, we'll view the remains of the Berlin Wall and the old headquarters of the Gestapo and SS from 1933 to 1945. With the original buildings destroyed by the allies, the current grounds were established in 1987 during Berlin's 750th anniversary celebration. Covering all dimensions of the Nazi reign of terror, this outdoor and indoor museum has three permanent exhibits with a handful that rotate throughout the year.
A visit to Checkpoint Charlie will recall the days of the Cold War. We'll stop for a photo at this famous crossing point between East and West Germany.
These and many more historic and fascinating sites are in store for your day in Berlin.
After a short break for lunch, we will visit the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, now a museum and place of remembrance. Spend some time walking through the camp, first opened by the Nazi regime in 1936 to hold political prisoners. It held prisoners from every nation in Europe, including British officers, Joseph Stalin's son, and 12,000 Soviet prisoners of war who were all systematically murdered. For five years following WWII, the Soviets continued to use the camp as a prison.
- You will connect with your guide upon arrival to Berlin.
- Meals are not included in the price of the tour.
- Due to time constraints there will be only a short stop to buy a snack or a sandwich in Berlin. Please bring any snacks or drinks from your ship.
- This tour includes some walking. Please wear comfortable footwear and dress for the weather. We suggest bringing an umbrella, just in case.
- This tour requires a minimum of 6 participants. There is a maximum of 30 participants per departure.
- This excursion cannot be done as a pre-cruise tour or a post-cruise tour. It must be round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier during a normal port day in the itinerary. Even if your ship overnights at the back end of your itinerary, unfortunately, we cannot run this tour that way.
- You are purchasing a shared tour and you will be expected to maintain the pace of the group. If you use a walker, wheelchair, or scooter, or if you have mobility problems, you will be refused service and not refunded. We suggest that you purchase a private tour for your best enjoyment. Also, please note that if you have an infant, we would also suggest a private tour.
- Please note this tour cannot wait for late arrivals past the scheduled departure time. Please arrive early, as we are unable to provide refunds if you miss the tour.
- The drive to Berlin is approximately 3 hours each way. The route of the tour and time spent in Berlin is subject to ship’s docking times, traffic, special events and any other circumstances out of our control. Please note we will not be able to provide a refund if the touring time has to be shortened because of any of the above.
Days offered: 7 days a week