Get in touch with the natural beauty and wildlife of Sitka, including whales, sea otters and more.
Sitka's timeless landscape and small town feel make it the perfect destination for a wildlife excursion. Considered to be one of the most beautiful cities in southeast Alaska, Sitka is nestled between majestic snow-capped mountains on the east and the Pacific Ocean on the west.
We'll start out with a safety briefing by your experienced local captain and talk about your preferences for the tour. Your captain will do his best to accommodate everyone's requests, bearing in mind this is a shared experience and each tour is different than the last. But whatever your choices, feel at ease as there is no shortage of options for beautiful places to visit.
As soon as we head out of town and into the clear waters of Sitka Sound, wildlife begins to reveal itself. Commonly sighted creatures include humpback whales feeding, perching eagles, sea otters lounging in the kelp, barking sea lions, harbor seals and maybe even a brown bear on the beach.
Our boat is a 30' Sea Sport Pilot, outfitted with a turbo diesel engine that can operate at 22 knots, providing less time for traveling and more time for viewing Sitka's magnificent wildlife. The vessel is inspected annually by the US Coast Guard, so you can confidently enjoy the scenery from the deck or the warm, heated and comfortable cabin which includes a setee, bench seating and a private restroom.
Your very qualified captain has more than 35 years of boating experience and is licensed by the US Coast Guard, which ensures a safe and fun wildlife tour. He has lived in Sitka for more than 25 years and has spent 15 years as a Captain, commercially fishing for salmon in the Sitka area. Unlike most boat captains, he is also an accomplished biologist (like his father) with several published scientific research papers. His enthusiasm for the town is contagious and you will delight in hearing his stories about the history or Sitka including the Tlingit Alaska Native, the part the town played during World War II and Sitka's Russian influences.
Please keep in mind that weather conditions play an integral role in our adventure and may determine where we go.
- Your trip includes life jackets and the use of binoculars, umbrellas and wildlife books.
-Bottled water, fruit juice and snacks.
- Please wear sturdy, "gripping" footwear and dress in layers for Sitka's cool and moist weather.
-The cabin is warm and dry for viewing, but if you are interested in "the outdoor experience," you might want to bring a rain slicker.
- There is a restroom on board the boat
- Price includes sales tax.
- There is a minimum 2 passengers and a maximum of 6 passengers for this tour.
- Total weight of the passengers cannot exceed 1,200 pounds. We will ask your weight during the checkout process.
-All children age 13 and under must wear a life jacket.
- This tour is not suitable for wheelchairs, but could store a collapsible wheelchair if the passenger is able to climb in and out of the boat and take a few steps with assistance.
Days offered: 7 days a week