Beyond Auckland Combo Tour - Hobbiton Movie Set And Waitomo CavesExplore > New Zealand > Auckland > Beyond Auckland Combo Tour - Hobbiton Movie Set And Waitomo Caves
Two world famous attractions in one day from Auckland!
Within a day's journey we will bring you to two world famous attractions, New Zealand's famous Waitomo glowworm caves and the Hobbiton Movie Set.
After being picked up in your private vehicle, you will travel through the Waikato and King Country countryside. We will travel part of the famous Thermal Explorer Highway as far as Waitomo Caves, showing you some gorgeous New Zealand countryside along the way.
Once at Waitomo Caves, you will explore a natural landmark that has become a part of over 125 years of New Zealand history. A world-famous easy walk and boat ride through these amazing caves will show you the marvels of Mother Nature as thousands of remarkable Glowworms display themselves in what feels like a cinematic wonderland. A local guide will provide informative commentary on all aspects of the caves and how they have developed into what they are today. The Glowworms that line caves are unique to New Zealand and something you can't see anywhere else.
Next up is Middle Earth, the town of Matamata. It now more commonly known as "Hobbiton Movie Set" since Peter Jackson chose it to be the humble home of J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved Hobbits from "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" Movie trilogies.
Lots of cool information awaits, such as how this bucolic location, dotted with sheep farms, was chosen, how the sets were created and which scenes were filmed here. The inviting landscape makes you want to stay forever. You will thrill at the chance to see the Hobbit holes, The Green Dragon Inn (where Samwise Gamgee wooed Rosie Cotton) the Mill, the famous Party Tree where Gandolf set off fireworks at Bilbo's birthday party. And, I've saved the best for last. You will also visit Bag End, with its curious, yet irresistible round door with the door knob right in the middle. This charming place was the home of Bilbo Baggins, then Frodo Baggins and eventually, home of Samewise Gamgee, his wife Rosie and their little Hobbits.
You will arrive back in Auckland, dreaming of Hobbits and savoring the memories of the day.
- This tour includes entrance fees, but does not include the cost of lunch or any additional snacks and beverages.
- Entrance to the Waitomo Caves includes a 45 minute guided tour with a guide at the Waitomo Caves as well as a boat ride at the end.
- Entrance to Hobbiton is included in the tour cost. This is a shared tour once there with a Hobbiton guide.
- Please note that this full day tour involves a lot of driving. The drive is approximately 2.5 hours to the Waitomo Caves, followed by one hour for lunch and another 1.5 hour drive to the Hobbiton Movie Set. From Hobbiton, your return to Auckland will be approximately 2.5 hours.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- This tour is most suitable for pre/post cruise hotel guests or land travelers.
Days offered: 7 days a week