Mauna Kea Summit And Stars Adventure - Hotel Guests Only
This is a bucket list experience for many so please, don't wait to book - or don't get mad at us!!
From the summit of the tallest volcano on earth, watch the sun set on the Big Island.
You will ascend the great volcano during its golden hour, the shadows getting longer as you approach the top. Along the way, the volcano’s striking diversity of ecosystems will come into view, from its tropical sea level habitat to its alpine landscapes farther up the mountain.
Before arriving at the summit, you will enjoy a hot, picnic-style dinner of local specialties.
You will reach the summit as the sky comes alive with the colors of Hawaii’s gorgeous and incomparable sunsets. To add to the grandeur, you’ll find yourself surrounded by the largest collection of telescopes on the planet.
With daylight waning, you will begin to descend the volcano, and along the way your guide will treat you to a tour of the stars.
*Children 16 years old and under cannot go to the top of the summit. The reason is the lack of oxygen is not safe. There is a location at about 9,000 feet where you will stop and have access to multiple telescopes.
- This program includes a hooded winter parka as temperatures do drop at night.
- A hot picnic dinner is included in the tour cost.
- Star gazing will involve use of a telescope.
- Children 16 years old and under cannot go to the summit. There is 40% less oxygen at the summit so the access is limited to adults only. You will be asked the ages of your children when you make this booking request.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 participants. There is a maximum of 14 passenger per vehicle.
- We pick up from most major hotels. Tour time is approximate and will vary based on your hotel. If your hotel is not included, an alternate meeting location will be provided. If you have questions, contact ShoreTrips.
- Due to the high elevation there is limited hiking involved.
- Tour time is approximate and will vary based on your hotel. If you have questions, contact ShoreTrips.
- You must be at least 16 years old to participate.
- The altitude is over 13,000 ft. Those with respiratory or heart conditions, or pregnant women should not access the summit.
Days offered: 7 days a week