Kona Less Traveled...A Shoretrips Premium Shared Van Tour
Let's go chasing waterfalls!
ShoreTrips' PREMIUM shared van tours are a perfect choice if you are looking for a deluxe tour that's economical but without the crowds of a big bus.
The Hamakua Coast is a tropical paradise with the type of character you grow to love. It's quirky and touristy, but it has a special flair and unique history begging to be explored. Oh, and did we mention waterfalls? Kona is home to some of the most accessible and beautiful waterfalls on the Big Island and we know just the right path to take you there.
After meeting with your guide, we begin with a scenic drive along the Northern shore. We'll leave the dry lands of Kona behind and head for the more scenic tropical and lush rainforest, but first, we will stop at Parker Ranch. Parker Ranch was once the country's largest cattle ranch, spanning 150,000 acres. Now it is one of the oldest and while not operational, and now broken up, this is still very much a cowboy town that has passed down through generations of cattle ranchers.
In 1946 this area was devastated by the Aleutian Tsunami, one of the most destructive natural disasters of the 20th century. Your guide will tell you all about how the locals rallied and rebuilt in the wake of this destruction.
As we continue on we'll take an old countryside highway, framed by sprawling green hills and picturesque as can be. We'll make photo stops at two of the island's most famous waterfalls - Akaka and Kahuna. Don't forget your camera! On our return to port, we will pass two very large and very dormant volcanoes, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.
These are the roads less traveled where nature is left untamed. Expect wild sheep, goats, and maybe even a Hawaiian Hawk.
- This is primarily a van based tour. A large portion of the tour time is spent driving.
- This tour picks up from Kona area hotels on days cruise ships are in port. If you are staying at a hotel, the pick up time will be assigned upon confirmation.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress in layers.
- This tour includes one bottle of water per person as well as a granola bar or trail mix.
- All entrance fees are included in the cost of this tour.
- The Akaka Falls and Kahuna Falls require a lot of steps. If you are not comfortable, you do not have to participate in this portion of the tour.
- There is a maximum of 20 passengers per van. There may be multiple vans.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 passengers to operate.
- This trip is suitable for Pride of America cruisers and hotel guests. This tour does not fit other cruise ship itineraries.
Days offered: 7 days a week