Combo...Whales And Helicopter Dog Sled TourExplore > United States > Juneau > Combo...Whales And Helicopter Dog Sled Tour
Save at least one hour of transportation with this new combination of Juneau's favorites!
Always looking to make your ShoreTrips experience the best, a staff member suggested this combination of two of the most sought after tours in all of Juneau. Kudos to Greg, who we call "Mr. Alaska", and his ability to bring to you, two perfect tours for your time in port!
This tour runs from May 13th until August 30th, weather permitting.
Your adventure begins with a short drive through downtown Juneau all the way to Auk Bay where you will have the opportunity to see humpback and orca whales, Dall's porpoises, stellar sea lions, harbor seals, bald eagles, and more.
Once you board the boat, relax and let your experienced captain lead the way to whales and other wildlife. Since your guides visit the waters daily, they are quite knowledgeable about the social circles of whales and where they congregate. You will learn about life in Alaska, as well as the habits of these mammals.
Next, we're off to our favorite helipad, which is conveniently between Auk Bay and the pier.
Glacier-carved mountains unfold in front of your eyes as you embark on your helicopter flight to the camp. The flight is about 15 to 20 minutes each way, depending on winds and weather. You will see that each glacier has its own personality.
As you land on the 10-18 feet of snow on Herbert Glacier, you will hear the 160 huskies barking their greeting, as they are as anxious to get moving as you are. You will have some time to chat with the mushers and hear unique personal accounts of the Iditarod backcountry experiences. You will be given instructions on stopping and using the brakes, if you want to drive the sled.
You will set out on a 1 1/2 to 2-mile loop and will be able to stop for photos, as well as to change places with your companion, if you wish. Your total time on the snow is one hour that you will never forget!
You have just had the 2 of the best experiences in Alaska. One - seeing the Juneau Icefields from above before landing on a glacier to enjoy an authentic dogsled run, plus the famous whales in these bays.
- Tour times will be assigned upon confirmation.
- Binoculars are provided for viewing pleasure on the boat.
- An Alaskan snack is included during the whale watching portion of the trip.
- No minimum fitness required.
- Dress with warm, water-resistant coat, hat, and gloves.
- Wear tennis shoes or lightweight hiking boots.
- Bring your camera and/or binoculars.
- If needed, boots and raincoats will be provided.
- All passengers must be able to get on and off the bus and to navigate the steep incline between the bus and boat.
- When purchasing, please enter the number of children under age 2 who will be on the trip.
- Heart patients: Please beware that this flight reaches heights of up to 5000'.
- No bags or backpacks of any sort are allowed on the helicopter. Everything you bring must fit in your pockets. Cameras or binoculars must fit into pockets or worn around your neck.
- You will be required to furnish the weight of each passenger. Be prepared to weigh in for this tour. To ensure your safety and comfort, passengers weighing 280 pounds or more (including clothing, footwear, and cameras, which may add an additional 10-15 pounds) will be reserved extra space on-board the helicopter and will be required to pay an additional amount. Please contact ShoreTrips for that price.
- This tour runs from May 13th until August 11th, weather permitting. Operation of all tours is dependent on weather and snow conditions. If the dogsled tour is not able to operate because of snow conditions, the helicopter company will make every effort to accommodate you on an alternate excursion.
Days offered: 7 days a week