History Of Bermuda (November - April)Explore > Bermuda > King's Wharf > History Of Bermuda (November - April)
This is not your standard history lesson; this tour is both educational and fun!
There are almost more forts here than cars so you can imagine that the history of this small territory is long and interesting.
Isolated by the vast Atlantic Ocean, and separated far from any other shoreline sits the island territory of Bermuda. Bermuda's history is deeply anchored to the ocean in which it lies and its rich, complex culture is a wholly unique mixture of British and American tradition coupled with the pink sand beaches of tropical paradise. This special tour will introduce you to Bermuda's rich cultural and political history and share with you its origins of passion and bravery as you meet the legendary Captains who dared set sail from Europe to venture into the tropical unknown.
In 1503, Spanish explorer Juan de Bermudez first stepped foot on what would become his namesake, "Bermuda." Unfortunately for his native Spaniards, Juan de Bermudez neglected to claim Bermuda as a Spanish Overseas Territory. After numerous failed attempts to harbor Spanish settlements; the territory was ultimately claimed and conquered by England and became a British Colony in 1707.
Your tour will begin with a visit to the gates of his/her Majesty's Dockyard - a historic landmark that served as the British Royal Navy's primary base in the Western Atlantic Ocean from 1795 - 1958. His/her Majesty's Dockyard was primarily utilized during the American War of Independence and the Cold War as a shipyard and a harbor of refuge during battle. Upon arrival to the Dockyard you will visit the Bermuda Maritime Museum which showcases a wide variety of cultural and historical showcases. Exhibits at the Maritime Museum encompass a multitude of fascinating displays which include Bermuda’s role in the slave trade, its complex history as a maritime hub in the 18th and 19th centuries, and its current role as one of the premier tourist destinations on earth.
Next you will reach Fort Scaur which yields the most beautiful panoramic view in all of Bermuda. Today you may opt to utilize this beautiful vantage point for a great photo opportunity, but the Fort also serves as an excellent historical landmark as it was used as the first line of defense. With its vast views, Fort Scaur served as the perfect place to scout enemy battle vessels and allowed native armies to tactically assemble a strategically placed defense.
From Fort Scaur, your journey continues to St. Georges which is the oldest continual settlement in the Western Hemisphere. Here, you will visit Fort St. Catherine, one of many forts constructed by the British that were used for years as places of refuge from the Spanish army during attempted invasions.
Your tour concludes at Admiralty House Park, which is located on the outskirts of Bermuda's beautiful capital, Hamilton City, where you'll enjoy breathtaking ocean views of this natural paradise. For braver guests, you can test your courage with some cliff jumping and a cavern swim into the Admiral’s Dining Room. This beautiful cave is carved out of Bermuda limestone and was once used by British Admirals to carve out limestone souvenirs to their loved ones back home.
- You will be given a backpack to use for the duration of the tour. Your backpack will contain lunch, two water bottles, snorkel gear, a flashlight, and a rain poncho. Please notify ShoreTrips prior to your tour if you require a vegetarian option and/or have specific dietary needs.
- We suggest you wear comfortable clothing, proper footwear, and sunscreen.
- If you plan on participating in the Cliff Dive, please wear your swimsuit under your clothing and bring a towel.
- This is a seasonal tour that runs from November to April only. Not available in the Spring/Summer months. Sorry.
- This tour is physically strenuous - all participants must be in good physical health.
- The price of the tour includes lunch.
- This program operates November-April.
- If a vegetarian,vegan or gluten free lunch is required, please specify at time of booking.
Days offered: Tuesday, Thursday