Berlin - Third Reich To The Cold WarExplore > Germany > Berlin > Berlin - Third Reich To The Cold War
This itinerary combines highlights that are of interest to all ages.
Many people are not aware of the fact that prior to the Nazi regime, Berlin was known as a city of enlightenment and tolerance. With vicious violence and sophisticated propaganda, the Nazis conquered this open-minded, cosmopolitan city and transformed it into the core of Hitler’s future empire. This tour through Nazi Berlin will introduce you to the powerful personalities, important places, and imposing buildings that represented the Nazi regime. Although the subject matter is dark, you will visit some of the most beautiful parts of Berlin.
This tour includes:
- Round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier
- Driver and (well skilled in English)guide
- Complimentary beverage on the way to Berlin
- Lunch break
- Soviet War Memorial
- Brandenburg Gate
- Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
- Drive the Great Boulevards: Unter den Linden, Friedrichstrasse, Wilhelmstrasse
- Führerbunker, former place of Hitler's bunker
- Hitler's Chancellery
- Checkpoint Charlie
- Berlin Wall (Bernauer Strasse)
- East-Side Gallery, an outside graffiti gallery
- Humboldt University
- Neue Wache
- Lustgarten Park on Museum Island, where you may visit the Pergamonde Museum if time allows and you desire
- Options for the end of the day, time allowing: visit KaDaWe Department Store - largest in Europe -or - Templehof Airport where the candy drop originated - or - shopping, ie. a very famous & unique modelbuilding shop for boys and for girls we can go to Hackesche Höfe
Upon arrival in Berlin, your tour will begin at the Reichstag, the parliament building, where a fire--allegedly lit by a communist in February of 1933--served Hitler’s pretext for a seizure of absolute power by means of an “emergency decree.” Then you are on to the Soviet War memorial, the burial place of the soldiers who took Berlin and the Reichstag. Next you'll walk along the East-West Axis to the Brandenburg Gate, the stage for Hitler’s triumph in 1933, and to the newly completed Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. After standing on the “Führerbunker,” where Hitler spent his last weeks, you'll get to take a closer look at important Nazi ministries such as Goebbels’ Propaganda Ministry, Goering’s Ministry of Aviation, and Hitler's Chancellery.
Now continue on to Checkpoint Charlie, where you will see the torture cellars left over from the headquarters of SS and Gestapo, and then on to the Clou, the entertainment palace where Hitler held his first speech in Berlin and where Jews and opponents were later gathered for deportation, as well as the seat of the famous Organisation Todt. Break for lunch at the beautiful Gendarmenmarkt, a monument to Old Prussian tolerance, and travel from there to the Hausvogteiplatz, the former heart of the Berlin confection industry, largely in Jewish hands at the time and destroyed by the Nazis.
As you travel through the city, your guide will direct your attention to the historical sites as you pass them. Learn about the role of the former Imperial Bank, with its massive and forceful Nazi-facade, the storage location of gold stolen from raided enemies. Then continue past Humboldt University, where 20,000 books written by opponents of the regime were burned, and students and professors collaborated with the Nazi regime to remove Jewish colleagues and contribute “scientific” know-how to Hitler’s plans.
Next, take a closer look at the Neue Wache, as well as the Lustgarten on Museum Island. Listen as your guide explains the fatal art policies of the Third Reich.
- Audi A3 - compact car
- Audi A4 - mid-size car
- Mercedes E - mid-size luxury car with nice leg room
- Mercedes S - large, luxury car
- Standard van - such as a VW
- Luxury van - such as a Mercedes
- Standard bus - regular tourist bus
- Luxury bus - such as a Mercedes
- Luxury bus - such as a Mercedes
- Please note it takes approximately 2.5 hours to drive between Warnemunde and Berlin.
- Your driver will speak little to no English. We do provide a way to communicate during your ride. Once you arrive into Berlin, you will meet your English-speaking guide.
- You will receive a complimentary beverage in the vehicle on the way to Berlin. Further beverages and snacks will be available for purchase.
- Lunch is not included in the price of this tour, but your guide can recommend a great place to suit your tastes.
- Admissions are not included in the tour as this tour allows for some modifications.
Days offered: 7 days a week