Berlin Highlights...A Shoretrips Value Shared TourExplore > Germany > Berlin > Berlin Highlights...A Shoretrips Value Shared Tour
Capture the highlights of Berlin on this value shared tour!
Berlin has gone through more transformation than any other major city since the 1940s and has become one of the most intriguing tourist destinations in all of Europe. With the cruise ship pier located about 2.5 hours from Berlin it is important to manage your time in a city this rich with history. With the most important stops picked out, your guide will paint the perfect picture of this historic city both past and present.
At the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church you will explore what many consider the heart of West Berlin. The Church marks the only building on Breitscheidplatz square to survive the bombings of the World Wars and the west tower serves more as a ruin than a a functioning wing of the building. A constant fundraiser is in process to preserve the facade of this building as it still stands as an active church with a max capacity of 1,000 guests.
The site known as the Topography of Terror stands on the old headquarters of the Gestapo and SS from 1933 to 1945. With the original buildings destroyed by the allies, the current grounds were established in 1987 during Berlin's 750th anniversary celebration. Covering all dimensions of the Nazi reign of terror, this outdoor and indoor museum has three permanent exhibits with a handful that rotate throughout the year.
Neue Wache represents the key memorial site for victims of war and tyranny since 1993. From 1818 to 1918 it served as a station for the Royal Guard and after turning into a memorial in 1931 it was soon severely damaged in World War II. Inside you will find the moving sculpture called "Mother with her Dead Son" which symbolizes the pains of civilians during World War II. The most interesting aspect of this memorial is the sculpture's location under a circular hole in the roof exposed to the elements of Berlin's climate.
- This tour accommodates a maximum of 24 passengers.
- Please note that it takes approximately 2.5 hours to drive between Warnemunde and Berlin. Transportation to and from Berlin will be done with a driver. Your English-speaking guide will meet you in Berlin.
- Gratuity and food are not included in the price of the tour.
- There are restrooms on board the coach for emergency use. A rest stop will be made half way between Warnemunde and Berlin each way.
- Since Berlin is a long distance from the port of Warnemunde, it is important to be prompt in your arrival to the meeting location. Please disembark your ship as soon as it docks. You will be assigned a tour departure time as early as 15 minutes after you dock.
- Please be advised that some of the smaller ships handling Baltic itineraries are more difficult for us to confirm. They often arrive at odd times and dock in smaller ports which make combining services formidable. We are speaking specifically of Crystal, Oceania, Azamara, Silver Seas, Viking, Seabourn and Regent. We will do our best but it would be preferred if you select a private excursion to secure the service.
- Please note that inside visits are typically included to the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, Topography of Terror and Neue Wache Memorial, but are dependent on local conditions such as overcrowding and traffic. All other listed landmarks will be a brief photo stop. As cruise ships dock far from Berlin itself, it is often difficult to fit in long stops at all destinations. The itinerary in place is what we believe is the best way for a cruise ship passenger to spend their day in Berlin.
- This excursion cannot be done as a pre-cruise tour or a post-cruise tour. It must be round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier during a normal port day in the itinerary. Even if your ship overnights at the back end of your itinerary, unfortunately, we cannot run this tour that way.
- You are purchasing a shared tour and you will be expected to maintain the pace of the group. If you use a walker, wheelchair, or scooter, or if you have mobility problems, you will be refused service and not refunded. We suggest that you purchase a private tour for your best enjoyment. Also, please note that if you have an infant, we would also suggest a private tour.
Days offered: 7 days a week