Catalan Jewish Heritage Tour...A Shoretrips Premium Shared Van TourExplore > Spain > Barcelona > Catalan Jewish Heritage Tour...A Shoretrips Premium Shared Van Tour
Barcelona's Ancient Synagogue is considered the oldest in Europe!
This tour includes:
- Expert English speaking guide
- Barcelona's Old Jewish Quarter
- Ancient Synagogue of Barcelona
- Medieval Girona
- Jewish History Museum
Don't forget you are on vacation. What's the rush? There isn't one and that is exactly why this full day program kicks off with a drink in Barcelona's old Jewish quarter. Rather than rack your brain with information on the fly your expert guide will assist you in ordering your morning drink while providing you the perfect introduction to Catalan Jewish history. After the stage is set you will embark on a 45 minute walking tour around Barcelona Call (old Jewish quarter) and learn first-hand the importance of this area to the history of the Catalan Jewish community. In the heart of this neighborhood you will find the Ancient Synagogue of Barcelona which is one of the oldest in Europe. The building dates back to the 4th century Roman-Visigoth era and a brief tour inside will provide a lasting impression on how early congregations celebrated their beliefs.
A scenic 1.5 hour drive outside of Barcelona will take you to Girona, a very well-preserved medieval town of about 90,000 people that has a stunningly beautiful old quarter and Jewish Call. It is full of tiny, winding cobblestone streets, pedestrian bridges, colorful houses and buildings lining the Onyar River, great shops, charming cafes and restaurants. Your primary destinations will be the old Arab Bath House and the Jewish History Museum which have done a wonderful job of preserving and collecting artifacts of Catalan Jewish history. A stop for a traditional Catalan lunch will provide the perfect moment to reflect on the stories of hardships and triumphs that have crossed your path.
After lunch, you will continue to the antiquated town of Besalú, about 30 minutes to the northwest of Girona. This magnificent historic-artistic site known for its beauty and 11th century roman architecture epitomizes the charm that Northeastern Spain is known for. You will spend the majority of your time in the ruins of the Jewish quarter which date back to the 9th century and is home to one of the few Jewish ritual bathhouses in all of Europe. Before heading back to Barcelona you will finish your day in the local public gardens where villagers grow herbs for their traditional homemade liqueur, ratafia.
- A morning cafe beverage, lunch and entrance fees are included in the price.
- If you are the only 2 passengers booked on this excursion there will be a 40 Euro per person additional charge to ensure that the tour runs. This will be paid to your guide on the day of the tour. If there are only 3 passengers booked the surcharge will be 20 Euro per person.
- This tour requires you to take a taxi to your meeting location in Plaza Sant Jaume.
- You are purchasing a shared tour and you will be expected to maintain the pace of the group. If you use a walker, wheelchair or scooter or if you have mobility problems you will be refused service and not refunded. We suggest that you purchase a private tour for your best enjoyment.
Days offered: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday