Glacier Trek...Level 3 X-Trek...Via HelicopterExplore > United States > Juneau > Glacier Trek...Level 3 X-Trek...Via Helicopter
We call this one the X-TREK. It could be fun. It could be punishment.
It's a shame that people who come to Juneau never get to see the Juneau ice fields. They're magnificent. From horizon to horizon, you will experience hundreds of glaciers filling the valleys of hundreds of mountain peaks.
Your trip begins with a tranfer to the Juneau airfield and your waiting helicopter. Before taking off, we'll fit you with the proper gear and give you a safety briefing. This tour includes approximately 30 minutes total (in each direction) of flightseeing, to enable you to take in the beauty of several of the nearby glaciers. Which glaciers you see will depend on the weather, but most times you'll see the Mendenhall, Herbert, and/or Lemon Glaciers, while the Taku, Norris, Bottle, and Thiel Glaciers are some of the others you might get to view.
Once on the glacier, you'll be taught the proper use of mountaineering gear. You'll be trekking over remote and pristine glacier routes, so we'll make sure that you understand the glacier features and hazards.
This trek will be hard, but very rewarding. At times it will be extensive and physically demanding. You may experience steep terrain. It should last about four hours. We'll introduce you to basic climbing and rope techniques so that you can safely climb and descend ice walls. Sound like fun? If you're the athletic type, you're going to have a blast.
Mid-way through the trek, your guide will serve you an Alaskan snack.
- All gear is provided, including rain and waterproof jacket and pants, gloves, hard shell mountaineering boots, gaitors, crampons, harness with carabiner, helmet, ice axe, climbing tools, and a day pack with tissues, a granola bar, and bottled water.
- Please wear layers of clothing and socks that fit over your ankles.
- We suggest that you bring sunglasses, sunblock, and a camera.
- The minimum age for this tour is 16.
- The maximum number of passengers per helicopter is 6.
- You must be in good physical condition and comfortable walking 5 miles over uneven terrain in order to participate in this tour.
Days offered: 7 days a week