Glacier Trek...Level 1...Via HelicopterExplore > United States > Juneau > Glacier Trek...Level 1...Via Helicopter
A non-strenuous, one hour walk on a glacier.
It's a shame that people who come to Juneau never get to see the Juneau ice fields. They're magnificent. From horizon to horizon, you'll experience hundreds of glaciers filling the valleys of hundreds of mountain peaks.
Your tour begins with a transfer to the Juneau airfield and your waiting helicopter. Before taking off, we'll fit you with the proper gear and give you a safety briefing. This tour includes approximately 30 minutes total (in both directions) of flightseeing, to enable you to take in the beauty of several of the nearby glaciers. Which glaciers you see will depend on the weather, but most times you'll see the Mendenhall, Herbert, and/or Lemon Glaciers, while the Taku, Norris, Bottle, and Thiel Glaciers are some of the others you might get to view.
Once on the glacier, you'll be taught the proper use of mountaineering gear. This tour is a non-strenuous, 1-hour interpretive "walk about" with plenty of time for photo opportunities. Your guide will provide detailed explanations of the glacier environment and the surrounding area. The amount of walking is moderate, over relatively flat to rolling terrain. No previous experience is necessary.
- All gear is provided, including rain and windproof jacket and pants, gloves, hard shell mountaineering boots, crampons, a trekking pole, and hip-pack with tissues, a granola bar, and bottled water.
- Please wear layers of clothing and socks that fit over your ankles.
- We suggest that you bring sunglasses and a camera!
- The minimum age for this tour is 8.
- The maximum number of passengers per helicopter is 6.
- You must be comfortable walking over uneven terrain.
Days offered: 7 days a week