Challenging Mendenhall Glacier Day Hike- Private Trek!
This challenging hike is done with your own private guide, a quintessential Alaskan experience!
This is the hike that is offered to all the friends that come to Juneau to visit. That is, assuming they are still in the same physical condition they were in the last time the guide saw them. This is intense, but not impossible!
This tour includes:
• A challenging hike of a lifetime leading to the foot of the Mendenhall Glacier
• A private, fully guided interpretive experience
• A comfortable pace that is set by you
• Incredible scenery and several vantages of the Mendenhall Glacier
• Lots of opportunities for wildlife viewing and photographs!
This day hike is designed to show off the unique faces of the mighty Mendenhall Glacier. Your tour begins with a narrated drive out to the Steep Creek area of the glacier. Here you will pause to photograph glacial landscapes and floating icebergs. If the local wildlife is cooperative, this can be a great chance to shoot spawning salmon and black bears, too.
Next, a short drive brings you to the trailhead at the west side of Mendenhall Lake. Here you will get several vantages of the glacier as you work your way up a forested path, past rushing streams on the way to the spur trail. Once on the spur, the terrain becomes more difficult and includes hiking on bedrock and some rock scrambling. The rocky buttress gives you a tough challenge and you'll be using your hands to climb over this.
Your efforts will be rewarded as the glacier opens up before you. It's breathtaking.
If time permits, you'll have the opportunity to hike to the glacier's edge. This allows for great photo ops as you explore the features of the lateral moraine. Ice caves and crystal blue ceracs are subjected to your camera's eye. Mother Nature puts on a spectacular show in this timeless land of snowcapped peaks and rugged icefalls. Come explore with us and develop your own portrait of this magnificent glacier.
The hike is approximately 5 miles round trip and 5 hours in length, with an elevation gain of 300 feet. Our experienced photo guides are trained as naturalists, and are certified in First Aid and CPR. The tour operates in all weather conditions.
• No gear is provided for this tour.
• We suggest that you dress in layers: light for vigorous hiking (like a T-shirt or sports top), warm (such as a fleece or pile jacket), and outer (such as good rain pants and jacket).
• Wear gloves and comfortable hiking boots/sturdy trail shoes with good ankle support.
• Bring a camera and a backpack for photo gear and personal items.
• Participants should be able to hike for up to 5 hours over stretches of uneven ground, including stretches of sloped bedrock paths and rocky trail conditions. There is a rock scramble at the crux of the hike.
• We suggest that you bring a camera and a backpack for photo gear and personal items.
• Recommended age limit for this tour is 14. Children should be able to hike the distance and terrain.
• You must purchase a minimum of 8 spaces.
• You must have no fear of heights for this hike and you must be physically fit. Any physical conditions, like back/knee problems or chance of pregnancy, will disqualify you from this activity.
Days offered: 7 days a week