Mt. Riley Nature Hike With Catamaran CruiseExplore > United States > Skagway > Mt. Riley Nature Hike With Catamaran Cruise
The rewards of this energetic 5.6 mile hike are incredible views and a unique Alaskan experience.
Truly, the best experiences you can do in Alaska are those you would never do at home. Guess again if you think this tour is just another hike!
You are in Skagway, at the base of the Yukon territory. By way of the Fast Ferry, it's a 45-minute ride to the town of Haines. This scenic boat ride will provide an opportunity for you to enjoy close-to-the-water views of scenic waterfalls and marine wildlife.
Your hike begins in anticipation of the spectacular views from the summit at a height of 1,760 ft. The trail takes about 5 hours round trip and winds its way through the temperate rain forest surrounding Haines. Skunk cabbage, false huckleberry, blueberry, devils club, and other plants can be seen along the trail. Later in the summer and fall, this a great place to find mushrooms and other fungi.
As you get closer to the mountaintop, the rain forest opens to a series of flowery meadows. The summit is a granite outcrop from which you may enjoy a panoramic view that includes the snowcapped Chilkat Mountains. These mountains rise from the ocean to over 6,000 feet.
We have included lunch for you so you can enjoy the scenery while you replenish your energy to enjoy the hike down!
- Wear layered clothing with a waterproof shell, and good hiking shoes or boots with traction soles.
- The price of the tour includes round trip transfer by catamaran, lunch (chicken Caesar wrap, whole grain chips, fresh fruit, a cookie, and bottled water or juice pack), and use of a belt pack, walking stick, and/or raincoat, if needed.
- There is a minimum of 4 people required for this tour.
- You must be in very good physical shape and able to hike significant vertical elevations. This is described as a HIGH activity level. All hikers must be able to easily walk over uneven ground for 5 miles with 1,600 feet elevation gain and be on their feet for 4 to 5 hours.
- This tour is not available on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
- Tour runs from May through the end of September.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday