Points of Interest
Views of Kilimanjaro
Photo #1 of 11
Amboseli is best known for its unrivalled views of Kilimanjaro and the local elephant population. There are over 1000 elephants in the parks eco-system, featuring some of the largest in Africa. Tortilis Camp is named after the flat-topped, umbrella thorn tree, the Acacia Tortilis, and is situated in one of Amboseli's areas of Acacia Tortilis woodland, with the majestic backdrop of Africa's highest mountain, and the World‟s highest free-standing mountain, snow-capped Kilimanjaro. Game drives, walks, sundowners and bush meals take place both inside the park, and within a private 30,000 acre game concession.
The tents are all large and spacious, with king or twin beds, elegant en suite bathrooms. There is a main lounge, bar and dining area, all exquisitely built with natural materials and thatched roofs, with magnificent views of Kilimanjaro.
Photo copyright Cheli & Peacock.
- Unrivalled views of Mt. Kilimanjaro – An elegant small lodge nestled on the side of LIimbarishi Hill with magnificent views across the plains to the highest free standing mountain in the world.
- Habituated elephant herds – Amboseli is home to elephant families that have been closely followed and studied by world renowned researcher Cynthia Moss for over 25 years. Tortilis‟ guides know the families and their histories intimately. These are some of the biggest elephants seen in Africa, as they have been protected for generations.
- Location – Guests at Tortilis Camp have access to both the famous Amboseli National Park, and the 30,000 acre Kitirua private conservancy adjoining the park. Guests can enjoy game drives, walks and bush meals in privacy.
- Highly qualified guides – all of the Tortilis Camp guides have their bronze or silver level KPSGA qualification.
- Unrivalled game drive vehicles & full refurbishment – Tortilis Camp has a brand new fleet of spacious open-sided Land Cruisers. All vehicles feature enhancements specifically designed for comfort and photography, such as charging sockets and camera stands. Tortilis Camp has also undergone a full refurbishment of tents, main area, swimming pool and grounds.
- Silver Eco-rating Certification, Ecotourism Kenya, 2011 / 2012
- Finalist Best Eco Property, Best Safari Cuisine & Best Safari Guiding Team – The Good Safari Guide, 2011
- Nominee Kenya‟s Leading Safari Lodge – World Travel Awards, 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
- T&L 500 Best Hotels – Travel & Leisure Magazine - 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
- World‟s Best Awards Top 100 – Travel & Leisure Magazine - 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010
- Condé Nast Traveller Gold List 2008
- Condé Nast Traveller Gold List 2006 – Best for Service in Africa
- Condé Nast Traveller Gold List 2005
- British Airways "Tourism for Tomorrow" Award, 1996 "Certificate Of Merit & Recognition" from Friends Of Conservation (Kenya)
- Game Drives in 4x4 open sided Land Cruisers
- Guided Bush Walks
- Swimming Pool
- Bush Breakfasts & Sundowners
- Massages, Manicure & Pedicure
- Cultural Visits